What to do when a gorilla charges on you
What to do when a gorilla charges on you : So many have from time to time asked the question ( what to do when a gorilla charges on you) . lets first agree by saying t that gorilla trekking is pretty much the most thrilling and fascinating activity one can ever indulge themselves in . The activity involves delving into the jungles and of course doing several hikes in search for the endangered mountain gorilla species and after meeting them , a series of interactions kick off.
Gorillas are large primates and infact the largest primates that live in the central and east Africa, gorillas are calm and gentle there by giving the rise of the connotation gentle giants, referring to the mountain gorillas. Therefore their gentle nature gave rise to the gorilla trekking activity
Gorilla trekking takes place in the countries of Uganda in the parks off bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga gorilla national parks, Rwanda in Volcanoes National park and Democratic republic of congo in virunga national park as well as at Kahuzi biega national park for lowland gorillas. Note that the countries of Congo, Uganda and Rwanda are the only destination where one can do mountain gorilla trekking therefore explaining why it’s a verysought for after activity.
What to do when a gorilla charges on you.
Lets begin by defining gorilla charging.
Gorilla charging simply means the reactions by a gorilla when is feels threatened in its own setting. Since gorillas are largely territorial animals and live in families dominated and headed by the alpha male also referred to as the silver back. Gorilla charging is characterized by a gorilla beating its chest, standing on its two legs while approaching the opponent in an attempt to start a battle or a fight. When the opponent show signs of being submissive to the supremacy it the gorilla then calms down and backs off. A fight can only be sparked of when and opponent is showing similar signs of aggression and intentions to attack.
Gorillas charge when they feel threatened usually by their fellow gorillas or even human that from time to time go an a trek in their territories
Below are some of the reasons they charge
- when the gorilla trekkers get too close to them,
- Looking at eye closely or making eye contact with them thus interpreting as a challenge.
- Taking photos with flash cameras or using flash while taking photos. So it’s important to not use your flash cameras while out on gorilla trekking.
- Making noise sounds disruptive to the gorillas, therefore they feel so threatened thus sparking charges or confrontation.
- Trying to make contact with the gorillas ie touching them may easily be interpreted as trying to pose a challenge to the gorillas there fore may result to gorilla charging.
- Suround the gorillas. When you surround the gorillas, they may interpret as a way of launching an attack on them therefore it may trigger them to charge on you.
- Wearing very bright colours while on gorilla trekking. The gorilla may respond to the bright colours since they are used to an evening with similar colour which is usually green therefore bright colors may seem foreign to them.
- Encountering the wild gorillas groups may also trigger gorillas to charge on you. Well there two gorilla classification in the gorilla trekking arena, there is the habituated gorilla class, which is taught to get to use to human presence therefore suitable gorilla trekking activity and there is the wild gorilla class there has never be taught to get used to human presence . Therefore when trekkers come across the, they may charge on trekker.
- Encountering breast feeding mothers. When you encounter those gorilla that are breast feeding, they may be aggressive as part of a motherly instinct of any other animal.
- Gorillas in bad mood resulting from unknown factors, it could be isolation form family or simply rejection for the family.
What to do when a gorilla charges on you.
Several compilations on procedures on what to do when a gorilla attempts or charges are represented below, should you ever be in position where gorilla is charging on you while on a gorilla trekking tour follow the steps below.
- Walk away for from the gorilla gently: as soon as you realize that the gorilla is charging on you, do not run as it may interpreted it as running away from it , but rather stay calm and walk away steadily.
- Do not keep an eye contact with them: when a gorilla charges on you, keep your eye contact away, because if you look at it direct on the eyes, it may think you are ready to challenge so it may attack you.
- Crouch down : gorillas are gentle but also love supremacy therefore when they charge on you, you may even bend low as a sign of being submissive to them.
- Keep a distance while trekking: while trekking, you are advised to keep a distance of 7 meters from the gorillas so that you give them their space since they are highly territorial primates. Also make sure you don’t touch the gorillas as they feel threatened and attack .But if they touch you, Don’t touch them back just keep calm until they stop touching you.
- Stay calm until the gorilla loses interest: when a gorilla charges, keep your eye away from it ,don’t panic, pretend like you are minding your business until it loses interest on you deeming you as a submissive mate.
- Pretend like you are a gorilla : this happens under circumstance when it is coming after you , you simply open your mouth an expose your teeth and shouth back to it and possible beat your chest .
- Listen to your guide/ range: before even beginning the trek, you have to listen to your guides instruction and even during the trek listen to advise from It very helpful to take instruction instead of relying on your own instincts in case you are faced with an incidence of gorilla charging.
Gorilla trekking destination
Mgahinga gorilla national park Uganda