Airstrips in Serengeti national park
Airstrips in serengeti national park: serengeti national park is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Tanzania situated in a distance of approximately 235.5 kilometers a 5 hours’ drive from Arusha town, the park can be accessed by both road and air transports. Sometimes tourists prefer to use air means of transport because various reasons such as short of time for a safari or need to quickly transfer to the park for a safari. There are many airstrips facilitating domestic flights, domestic flights are offered from Arusha airstrip and Kilimanjaro international airport and these airstrips include
Seronera airstrip is one of the largest airstrips by size and mostly used by small regional flights, the airstrip is situated in the parameters of Serengeti national park. Seronera airstrip is situated in the heart of Serengeti national park inside a small town of Seronera in a drivable distance of 2 hours from Naabi hill and Ndabaka gates. Seronera airstrips features one airport building that serves as a lobby and hosts administrative offices of the airstrip
Seronera town where the airstrip is situated consists of special and public campsites, a tourist information centre, 2 fuel station, shops, bars and a dispensary. In distance the airstrip is situated
- 1 kilometers from Pimbi campsite
- 5 kilometers from Seronera visitor information center
- 5 kilometers from Seronera village
- 6 kilometers from Tumbili campsite
- 7 kilometers from Nyani campsite
- 1 kilometers from Nguchiro campsite
Serengeti kusini airstrip
Serengeti Kusini airstrip is another frequently used airstrip situated near kusini kopjes south of Serengeti national park with a border between it and a few kilometers south of Maswa game reserve, the airstrip is strategically positioned in an area where the great where the great wildebeest migration starts from and tourists are able to view the migration of lucky.
Serengeti Kusini airstrip is also situated close to Lake Ndutu, Lake Masek, lake Elemeti and Lake El dabsh, these lakes serve as calving spot for wildebeests and zebras during the wildebeest migration. In distance Serengeti Kusini airstrip is situated
- 2 kilometers from Mawe Ya samba Kopjes
- 1 kilometers from Kusini Kopjes
- 9 kilometers from Maswa game reserve
- 9 kilometers from Soito Kopjes
- 8 kilometers Itiganya kopjes
Lobo airstrip is another airstrip serving domestic flights to visitors of Serengeti national park and other neighboring destinations, Lobo airstrip is situated in north eastern Serengeti in Lobo area which is a remote area of the park. The airport is situated next to the eastern border of Serengeti national park in a short distance in south direction of Lobo village, the location of the airstrip is known hosting a large population of lions which can easily be viewed.
Lobo airstrip is situated close to public and private campsites, lodge and tented camps. in distance lobo airstrip is situated in the following distance from the following landmarks
- 6 kilometer from Lobo kopjes
- 6 kilometer from Lobo campsite
- 6 kilometers from Klein’s gate
- 7 kilometers from Bologonja springs
- 8 kilometers from Ngare Naironya springs
Fort Ikoma airstrip
Fort Ikoma airstrip is a small airstrip situated in a small distance North West of Serengeti national park, Fort Ikoma airstrip is situated close to Seronera airstrip another one in Grumenti which explains why it is not usually used. The airstrip strategically situated amidst Serengeti to the south, Grumenti to the west and Ikongoro to the east.
The airstrip is situated in the following distances from various landmarks
- 3 kilometers from Fort Ikoma
- 3 kilometers from Fort Ikoma campsite
- 1 kilometers from Fort Ikoma gate
- 3 kilometers from Retima Hippo pool
- 1 kilometers from Nyabogati Hippo pool
Kirawira B airstrip
Kirawira B airstrip is a small airstrip situated in the western end of Serengeti national park, the airstrip is in a short distance north of Grumenti River and it is situated in a drive of 3 hours from the city Mwanza and half an hour drive from Ndabaka gate.
Kirawira B airstrip is situated in the following distance from various landmarks
- 4 kilometers from Kirawira migration cross point 1
- 8 kilometers from Grumenti game reserve
- 8 kilometers from Handajega gate
- 2 kilometers from Ndabaka gate
- 7 kilometers from Balili view pint
Kogatende airstrip is strategically situated on the southern banks of the Mara River in northern region of Serengeti national park, the airstrip is the most convenient airstrip used to access the remote area of Serengeti national park and offers panoramic views of the landscape. The southern banks of Mara River is situated a few kilometers south of the border between Tanzania and Kenya, the same area is used by the hundreds of animals as they cross from Serengeti national park to Masai Mara national reserve as part of the great wildebeest migration.
Kogatende airstrip is situated in the following distance from various landmarks
- 2 kilometers from Larelemangi salt lick
- 7 kilometers from Bologonja springs
- 1 kilometers from Bologonja gate
- 1 kilometers from Klein’s gate
- 3 kilometers from Lobo kopjes
These airstrips are very open and handle daily domestic flights for tourists coming to Serengeti national park for a safari.