How to get to queen Elizabeth national park
How to get to queen Elizabeth national park : Queen Elizabeth national park is located in western part of Uganda is one of the world is wonders in Uganda located in the western part in kasese district, the park lies on the edge of western rift valley covering an area of 1,978 square kilometers. Queen Elizabeth national park named after the Queen of England was established as a protected area in in 1952, the park is gifted with a variety of attractions which attract many tourists to the park for a safari experience. Attractions in the park include kazinga channel, the Mweya peninsular, Lake Katwe explosion crater lakes, kyambura gorge, Lake George, Lake Edward, Maramagambo forest and a variety of wildlife.
Wildlife in Queen Elizabeth national park includes animals and birds, animals in the park include tree climbing lions, chimpanzees, leopards, giraffes, elephants, hippos, great flamingos, pelicans, reptiles among others. Birds in the park include African Fin foot, African hobby, African Skimmer, Caspian Plover, Common Sand martin, Broad billed roller, Grey-winged robin chat, Great blue turaco, Black rumped buttonquail, rare shoe bill stork among others.
Many tourist always question how to get to Queen Elizabeth national park? This article answers that question.
Queen Elizabeth national park is found in a distance of 392 kilometers from Kampala city, Kampala city is the most developed city in Uganda where most of the trips to queen Elizabeth national park start from, the reason why most trip begin in Kampala is that it is situated the only town near Entebbe town the main gateway to Uganda by international tourists using Entebbe international airport
Queen Elizabeth national park is easily accessed form Kampala city and other tourist destinations or protected areas, tourists on combined safaris can easily connect to Queen Elizabeth national park from destinations like Kibale national park, and Murchison falls national park, Rwenzori national park, Semuliki national park, Bwindi impenetrable national park and many neighboring areas
Distances of queen Elizabeth national park from other destinations and owns
- From Kampala it is a distance of 387.1 kilometers and a drive of 6-7 hours to Queen Elizabeth national park on Kampala via Masaka and Mbarara to Kasese and 388.6 kilometers a drive of 7 hours on Kampala via Mbarara- kasese route.
- From Mbarara it is a distance of 119.8 kilometers and a drive of 2-3 hours to Queen Elizabeth national park via Mbarara – Kasese road.
- From Kasese it is a distance of 46 kilometers and a drive of 40 minutes to 1hour to Queen Elizabeth national park
- From Fort portal it is a distance of kilometers 120.6 and a drive of 2-3 hours to queen Elizabeth national park
- From Murchison falls national park it is a distance of kilometers 453.1 and a drive of 7-8 hours to queen Elizabeth national park
- From Semuliki national park it is a distance of 111 kilometers and a drive of 2-3 hours to queen Elizabeth national park
- From Lake Mburo national park it is a distance 185 of kilometers and a drive of 3-4 hours to Queen Elizabeth national park via Mbarara- Kasese road.
- From mountain Rwenzori national park it is a distance of 55.3 kilometers to queen Elizabeth national park
- From Bwindi impenetrable national park it is a distance of 149 kilometers and a drive of 3-4 hours to Queen Elizabeth national park via Kihihi-Kambuga road.
Queen Elizabeth national park is easily accessed from all the above areas and tourist destinations, generally queen Elizabeth national park is accessed using both road and air transport.
As noted before most safaris to queen Elizabeth National Park start from Kampala city, the distance between the two areas is approximately 420 kilometers with a drive of 5-7 hours. using road transport to get to the park is a bit time consuming but very rewarding as you sights a lot of nature in various areas as you drive to the park, there is many well maintained routes which are used to connect from Kampala to queen Elizabeth national park and you can chose to use either public or private means.
Routes connecting to Queen Elizabeth national park from Kampala include
- Kampala- kasese route via Masaka and Mbarara
- Kampala – Kasese route via Ntugamo – Katunguru
Using private means of transport is the most comfortable way to get to the park as you drive in your spacious vehicle. By public means there is many bus companies offering daily trips to kasese from Kampala, these buses include Gaga bus, baby couch and any more. These buses do not connect straight to the park, they stop in kasese town and from kasese town you board either a motorcycle ride or rent a car to Queen Elizabeth national park.
By air means of transport, scheduled flights are offered from Entebbe international airport and kajjansi airstrip flying to various airstrips around Queen Elizabeth national park, airstrips handling domestic flights to the park include kasese airstrip, Mweya airstrip and Kihihi airstrip. When you chose to use flying options to get to Queen Elizabeth national park it is important to book your flight days before the actual date to avoid missing out, these flights are scheduled and offered either in the morning or an afternoon.
Flights to Queen Elizabeth national park are offered by flight companies like Aero link, fly Uganda and many more.